The Company was formed on 3rd November 1976 by 13 members of The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA). This was followed by a petition to the Court of Aldermen of the City of London for the Company to be constituted a Livery Company, as an encouragement to a profession that is essential in providing to the community a class of persons well qualified to be employed in responsible and demanding duties, to allow opportunity to serve the City of London (the City), and to support its ancient customs and traditions.
The Grant of Livery, embodied in the Letters Patent, under the Seal of the Mayoralty "was confirmed and ratified unto the good men of the Company" on 19th July, 1977, and was presented at the Mansion House by the Rt. Hon. The Lord Mayor, Air Commodore Sir Peter Vanneck GBE CB AFC AE MA DL, on 12th January 1978.
No.1 in order of Livery precedence is the Mercers’ Company, with records dating back to 1394. Since then the Livery within our City has grown and adapted to meet new needs, to acknowledge new trades and professions. The Worshipful Company of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators is ranked No. 87 in the order of precedence.
In 2003 the Company celebrated the Silver Jubilee of the presentation of its Letters Patent granting Livery.
In 2008 the Company was granted a Royal Charter. On 11th September 2008 more than 200 Livery Company members and guests assembled at the Church of St Michael Cornhill. The Charter was presented to the Company by Honorary Liveryman and HM The Queen's representative, Lord Fellowes. This was followed by speeches from Mr Alex Galloway, former Clerk of the Privy Council, and the Bishop of London, the Rt Revd & Rt Hon Dr Richard Chartres KCVO.